The Cognitive Robotics Department at TU Delft seeks to fill a faculty position in the area of data fusion for intelligent vehicles at the level of Assistant (tenure-track) or Associate Professor (tenured). The position covers multi-modal sensor processing (e.g. vision, radar, lidar, IMU, GNSS) for on-board environment perception and localization/mapping, in complex and dynamic environments (e.g. urban traffic). Specific topics of interest include:
- Object detection (position, pose and shape estimation)
- Environment representation (e.g. sensor-level, grid-level, object-level)
- Multi-target tracking
- Vehicle localization and 3D mapping
- Distributed sensing
- Life-long mapping of large scale environments
- Statistical methods and machine learning
- Deep learning for heterogeneous and temporal data fusion
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline. Experience in robotics and/or intelligent vehicles is an asset;
- Experience as a Post-Doc/Assistant Professor
- Excellent track record in scientific research, as evident from publications in top-tier conferences and journals
- Proven ability to provide inspiring teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels (in English)
- High motivation to pursue and establish an own research direction within an interdisciplinary environment
- Organizational and managerial skills to interact and cooperate effectively with staff and other research institutes and organizations, including industry;
- Experience in the acquisition of external funding
Organisation and Department
The Cognitive Robotics Department has the mission to develop intelligent robots and vehicles that will advance mobility, productivity and quality of life.The department combines fundamental research with work on physical demonstrators in areas such as self-driving vehicles, collaborative industrial robots, mobile manipulators and haptic interfaces. Of special interest are robotic solutions for complex, human-inhabited environments. Collaborations exist with cross-faculty institutes TU Delft Robotics Institute and TU Delft Transport Institute), the national robotic ecosystem (RoboValley, Holland Robotics) and international academia and industry.
The faculty opening is within the Intelligent Vehicles Group; it focuses on methods for environment perception, dynamics and control and human factors in the context of automated driving.
Conditions of employment
A tenure-track position is offered for six years. Based on performance indicators agreed upon at the start of the appointment, a decision will be made by the fifth year whether to offer you a permanent faculty position. For more information about the Tenure Track and the personal development programme, please visit www.tudelft.nl/tenuretrack.
The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The TU Delft sets specific standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. The TU Delft offers training to improve English competency. Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. If you have less than five years of experience and do not yet have your teaching certificate, we allow you up to three years to obtain this.
For more information about this position, please contact Prof. Dariu M. Gavrila (e-mail: D.M.<last-name>@tudelft.nl).
To apply, please submit
- a motivation letter,
- a detailed CV,
- a research and teaching statement,
- electronic copies of your top three publications, and
- contact data of three references
Contract type: Tenure track/Tenured
Delft University of Technology Delft University of Technology (the TU Delft) is a multifaceted institution offering education and carrying out research in the technical sciences at an internationally recognised level. Education, research and design are strongly oriented towards applicability. The TU Delft develops technologies for future generations, focusing on sustainability, safety and economic vitality. At the TU Delft you will work in an environment where technical sciences and society converge. The TU Delft comprises eight faculties, unique laboratories, research institutes and schools.
|Salary (first year)||maximum € 6438|